I love my crockpot, so when I saw this recipe I knew it was going to be on the Christmas giving list.
So are you ready to set it and forget it?
Crockpot Apple Butter
- 1 dozen apples, peeled, cored, cubed
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon All Spice
- Core and peel apples. Once you cube them put them in the crockpot.
- Stir in water, sugar, and spices with apples.
- Set it on low and leave overnight. I left it around 16 hours on low. You can shorten this time on high, but I would watch the apples more closely. Even on low, I periodically stirred the apples to break them up faster into the mush.
- Once the apples are a mush, stir it to further smooth the mixture. You can put it in a blender to smooth out further. I left it fairly chunky, almost like applesauce.
- Put butter into storing containers. This recipe allowed for 6 smaller canning jars.
- (I also took this step to taste test it. Yummeeeee. I would eat it by the spoonful.)
You could jazz up the jars with ribbon and labels, but I didn’t quite go that far. These would make a good spread for toast or bagels.
We just resurfaced in Ft. Campbell after 2 weeks on the road. We don’t even know what to do with ourselves.
Here is a recap on how the past two weeks of our travel went.
- 14 days living out of a suitcase (or two)
- 1 state (Missouri) 2 cities (Kansas City and Jefferson City)
- 2 Christmas celebrations in JC
- 3 Christmas celebrations in KC
- Drove through the town where our undergrad is and revisited old stomping grounds
- Rang in 2014
- 4 family birthdays
We surprised my father-in-law with a 60th birthday party.
- Crosby got a new nickname of Hammerhead, to go along with his others of Crosbastic and Crosbilicious.
- Neither dog pooped in the house while we were away. Success.
- Grace lived up to her name of the Food Ninja by stealing food off the counters.
- We saw Crosby in the snow for the first time (with us anyway). He is not a fan. Grace however, thinks snow is candy coming from the sky.
- Crosby demolished a Kong toy in the amount of time it took us to open up Christmas presents.
The unlucky Kong and Crosby.
- We both got to visit with old friends with typical best friend behavior
- My two best gal pals and I downed Chili’s molten chocolate cake under a couple minutes. As our families watched in awe (or horror) at three grown women fighting over cake and ice cream.
- Tom played hours of video games with his bestie.
- I went to my first Christmas Eve service that I can remember. Our family lit the advent candles for the service.
My in-laws at Christmas Eve service.
- Tom managed to work out every day. He scared a lot of people in the gym with his ranger panties.
- On a date with my sister in law, I revisited the winery where we had our wedding anniversary.
- I read 2 books and watched one documentary.
- The Homemade Christmas items seemed to go over well. More to come on all the crafting that occurred gearing up for the gift exchange!
- I got to officially meet the Climes whose son inspired me to run my last half. They are too sweet, except the boys let me die in a nerf arrow fight.
- We watched Clemson and Mizzou win their respective bowl games. It is always a good day to be a Tiger!
- We gave my parents a Royals neon. So awesome!
My father-in-law works for Budweiser so sometimes we come across gems like these!
We were so excited to give this to them!
- Unfortunately, the Chiefs lost by one point in their playoff game. It was a great year for them though!
- We only got up before 9am one time. Tomorrow’s 5am alarm is going to be brutal.
- I got my brother hooked on the show Castle.
- On both the way to Missouri and the way out, we had to stop in the first 30 minutes to search for an open auto parts store in the middle of no where because Tom’s Jeep was acting up.
- My dad bought our 3 year old niece a drum set. Bahaha! My poor brother.
- Tom got a new gun for his birthday.
- We saw snow, ice, rain, sunshine, and temperatures ranging from 4 degrees to 65 degrees.
- We told our niece Ava about the Hamburgler, and she went on to talk about the hamburger stealer bad man for the rest of the day. Whoops.
- The most played song for us was Miley Cyrus “Wrecking Ball.”
- I took about 1,000 photos, but there are less than 10 that I am actually in. Most of them were the family photos we took.
One of the Christmases with my mom, brother and his daughter
We had a great time at home. And we can’t wait for the days when we don’t have to travel so far to have family time.
I hope you all had a great holiday season. Here’s to making new memories in 2014!