I started this blog originally to document my side of my husband’s deployment in 2012. He has since left the Army, became a Police Officer in the civilian world, and then took a “normal” job leaving the chaos of public service behind. Over the years, this blog has become much more than a space to show off my crafts that distracted me during our Army days. Now as “Finding My Yellow“, I hope to document life as it happens and always be in the search of the positive aspects in front of me.
My husband, Tom, and I have been together for quite some time. You can read more about our story in these posts:
We are parents to the most adorable little dudes and sweet little miss.
George Lawson was born on August 26th, 2014.
Daphne Christine was born on May 18th, 2017.
Walter Paul was born on November 30th, 2020.
We have two boxers babies: Grace and Crosby. (They are named after Grace Kelly and Bing Crosby.) They are a joy to have, and they teach us lessons every day!
And just because who doesn’t love a little trivia, here are some random facts about me:
Born in 1985: the year the Royals won the World Series
Originally from: Kansas City, MO
Bachelor’s-University of Central Missouri, Social Studies Ed
Master’s-Clemson University, Counseling in Student Affairs
Career: Student Affairs (aka: work with college students) I have worked at several universities across the Southeast and Midwest.
- volleyball and basketball
- pretending to run (I think I may be high on race adrenaline though and not the actual running part.)
- reading books. Modoc by Ralph Helfer is my favorite book. My favorite authors are John Jakes, John Steinbeck, Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks, J.K Rowling, and Stephen King.
- T.V.-I am addicted to T.V. I can get hooked on almost anything. And Netflix and Hulu have not helped this addiction. I seriously try to watch ALL the TV. You can search the blog with “TV Reviews” to see what shows have sparked my interest. My “ever” favorite shows are-Boy Meets World, Gilmore Girls, Law and Order SVU, Castle, Dancing With the Stars, and the West Wing. Tom and I’s favorite shows as a couple are The Office and How I Met Your Mother. I know, it is a little ridiculous.
- Movies-very similar to my T.V addiction. You can thank having a drama teacher for a step-mom. The Oscars were like the Superbowl in our house. Anything with Gene Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, or Sandra Bullock is a must. My favorite movies are West Side Story, Miss Congeniality, Singing in the Rain, and Sabrina.
- crafting-hence the creation of this blog.
- crocheting-My dad taught me when I was 7, and I have been doing it ever since.
- baking-there is just something about putting mush in the oven and having something divine come out, or at least edible.
- volunteering-I really enjoy doing things for the community and giving back when I can.
All in all, I am just a normal girl from the Midwest trying to live a blessed life.
I hope you enjoy hearing about our life!
Feel free to send me any questions or comments you may have!
You can email me at email@example.com or fill out the form below. I would love to hear from you!
Thank you for stopping by!
I also work in “student affairs” 🙂 What college do you work at/ have you worked at??
I currently work at Austin Peay State University (just started a little over a month ago). I have worked/internshiped at University of Central Missouri, Clemson, University of Central Florida, Southern Wesleyan University, and most recently Iowa State University. I love it!
Just wanted to say thanks for following my blog. I felt like I was reading about my twin when reading your story. I love photography, crafting (my fave is scrapbooking), and also work in student affairs. I too am a lover of Glee, Parenthood, So You Think You Can Dance, and New Girl. I’m a knitter, even though I dabble in crochet. Anyway, looking forward to reading more of your blog!
Love your blog! We’re at FTCKY as well 🙂
Thanks I love yours too!
Ok so I randomly came across your blog and I had to comment…my husband is also in the Army, we are also stationed at Fort Campbell and we are also from Kansas City! I just thought that was too crazy to not point out. 🙂 I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far!
So random! Thanks for stopping by!
Great blog! I randomly came across your corner of the Internet and just wanted to say hi! My husband and I are also stationed at Ft. Campbell and have a boxer puppy too. 🙂
Your boxer is beautiful! How are you liking Ft. Campbell?
Thank you! I think all boxers look adorable, but I guess I’m kind of breed bias. 😉 We are actually in the process of possibly adopting another one. Call me crazy but I think they need playmates. FTC has been treating us well for the last 2 years, and we have a bunch of friends around here so that helps also! How long have you guys been here? How do you like working in the area (my guess is that you’re at APSU)?
Pingback: What Makes Me Happy | Student Affairs Explorer
Pingback: 4 Years |
What a beautiful blog!! How did you learn photography?! Your kid is adorable…and those boxers too.
Thank you for the sweet words. I was on yearbook in high school where I learned the fundamentals on an old school film camera. When I got my DSLR, I learned a lot off youtube, pinterest, and various blogs. And a lot of it is just getting the camera out and trying different things on my own!
Pingback: Year 5
Pingback: Year 6
Pingback: Year 7