Finding baby furniture can be somewhat depressing when you start looking at the price tags. Why does something so little need things that cost so much?
We had wanted to find a dresser that we could redo into a changing table. After going to most of the thrift stores in town and looking online at various options, we kept coming up empty. Even at thrift stores, dressers were costing up in the 300 to 400 range.
So we settled on making shelving units ourselves to fit our need, which we saved so much. We were able to spend about $200 for two full shelving units that were exactly what we wanted.
Plus then we get to have these handmade items to pass on to our kids. I still have the bookshelf my dad made for me when I was a kid, so I love the fact that we will have personal touches to add to our kid’s lives.
I am just going to let the pictures do most of the talking.
Frame for unit one
frame for unit 2
They are pretty similar, but these legs are just one little touch that makes them different.
Tom sanded the tops to make them extra smooth. Then he used a router to make a rounded smooth edge.
I helped with the painting, but you don’t need pictures of the big ol belly struggling to reach corners.
Here is the changing table. The boxes hold everything from clothes to diapers and bath stuff. We got the solid fabric boxes off of Amazon with our registry, but they also sell them at Walmart. The elephant print box I made. I will have a tutorial here soon!
This is the extra bookshelf for all the knick knacks.
I love that Tom is so handy and can make these things happen.
The nice thing is that these can change easily to change for whatever the need is. So if we get more books for example, we can change the arrangement of things. I tried several dozen variations of things before I settled on where things are now. With the boxes you can change the patterns up easily!
We were a little nervous about all the white, but I love how clean and simple it looks.
Now we just need to hang things on the wall and put a rug down, and I think this nursery is complete! The goal is to have everything in place by this weekend, so hopefully we can make that happen considering my bed rest limitations.
Also, I am guest posting for my friend Tiffany today! Check it out here!