Summers have always been a time for me to dive into many many books. I was that kid who lived for the day we would go to the library each week to check out more books than I could conceivably handle. There were also free books you could get with turning in your summer reading lists, and I took FULL advantage of this program. I was working my way to having Belle’s library.
So that drive to read during the summer months has been years in the making. Now that I have the most wonderful porch to read on at our new house, I have a feeling that many summer nights will be spent out there. Also there may or may not be a reading nook planned in the basement…
Currently I am reading two books. I have one at work that I read during my lunch break if I don’t have lunch plans. The other is my at-home book. The books open on my shelf right now are Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult and I Shall Be Near To You by Erin Lindsay McCabe.
These are books that are up next on my reading list:
- Through Waters Deep by Sarah Sundin-historical fiction during the Civil War (Historical Fiction is my favorite type of book)
- The Book Thief by Mark Zusack-historical fiction during WWII
- Raging Heat by Richard Castle-mystery/crime/romance (I have read the first 5 in the series, and I love the show Castle!)
- The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen– YA and romance, what could be better? (I have never actually read Sarah Dessen’s books, but I loved her blog.)
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell-another YA because I can.
- The Heretic’s Daughter by Kathleen Kent-historical fiction on the Salem Witch trials
- Yes Please! by Amy Poehler-I don’t normally go for memoirs but it’s Amy Poehler
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn-I know I am way behind the times…
- Divergent Series by Veronica Roth-again trying to catch up with the rest of the world
- Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham-Lorelei Gilmore wrote a book? Get on my shelf!
I may or may not read them in this order or have other books added along the way.
Do you have any historical fiction authors I must check out? (John Jakes and John Steinbeck are my favorites.) What other fad books do I need to catch up on?
The Book Thief is such a good book! And I did enjoy the Divergent series, though not as much as The Hunger Games series.
Eleanor & Park and Yes Please! are on my to read list too!
I finished Night Circus not too long ago too and really enjoyed it. So that’s a suggestion! A lot of people suggested it to me and I was pretty pleased with it.
Thanks for the suggestion! I am excited about Book Thief and Eleanor & Park.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Never too many books to read!
Leaving Time is SO good. If you are going to read a Sarah Dessen book (for the first time) I would not read The Moon and More. It was her worst book! Her latest one was really good! And all the rest (except This Lullaby) are also really good. Someday, Someday, Maybe was great! So were Gone Girl and Eleanor and Park.
AHHHH I am almost done with Leaving Time. It is now probably my favorite Jodi book. I will have to take that into account about Dessen.
Sarah Dessen is a fantastic YA author. I suggest her to many of my students and I own some of her books, too. My favorite by her is The Truth About Forever. Definitely add it to your list if you like her style. Gone Girl was just okay to me and I hated Divergent. (You might end up liking it though. The first one was good and then it just went downhill, IMO.)
Be sure to update us when you’ve read some of these. You know I love a good book review!
I will be sure to write some reviews!
You will LOVE LOVE LOVE The Book Thief! It’s my favorite book ever.
I am really really excited to read it!
I need to read The Book Thief! I’ve seen the movie and loved it so the book is probably amazing. I think I am in the minority, but I just wasn’t a fan of Divergent. I couldn’t get into it, and I think it’s because I compared it to The Hunger Games and found it subpar.
I have the movie saved on my DVR until I read the book. A lot of people are saying that about Divergent, so it may be going down my list…