Time has definitely settled and slowed down a bit. I started my new job a week ago, so it is safe to say now Tom and I are living a regular life and are starting to create some routines. I tell ya, getting up at 5 is not fun, but having someone keeping you accountable to that makes it a little easier.
The house is still silly in some areas with having to go home for the Baumgardner wedding last week, starting a new job, just building some furniture and then debating what needs to be done before Tom has surgery this week. Let’s just say our spare bedroom is becoming that closet that you are afraid to open because of what may fall out.
At the end of the day though, I get to come home to my family.
But, there is still this inkling that there is a joke coming up and this honeymoon period is about to end. Haha Whiteners-fun time is over. After living in a long distance relationship for the better part of 6 years, it is proving to be a hard habit to shake.
About once a day, Tom and I share comments of fleeting thoughts we had thinking we only had a weekend.
- Do you want to stay up all night since you are supposed to head back to Iowa tomorrow…ohhhh wait!
- We need to get one last family walk in before you drive!
- Let’s just keep eating out because there isn’t any food and I don’t want to waste our time together cooking and cleaning the kitchen.
- I don’t want to see anyone else but you this weekend. There isn’t anything in this city that demands our time. What, we don’t need to live holed up in our apartment all weekend?
- I still have all my make-up and face wash products in a traveling case…
- Why are you in the other room? Come sit next to me, every minute, every second…
- Watch your TV on your own time! We need to get through “That 70s Show!”
- and the list goes on…
Having jobs to go to every day is helping us settle in a little more, so hopefully we will feel more permanent the more time that passes. And we can explore the city a little bit too. I am really looking forward to the Farmer’s Market and Jazz on the Lawn!
Either way, I am loving being able to have a face to face conversation every day and not doing that dreaded drive away from the person you love. Seriously the worst part of a long distance relationship is the travel back after a glorious weekend together.
Sayonara depressing sappy love song drive mix! (Ok maybe I will still listen to that…)
Now I just need to tame the beast…
This past weekend Tom and I made most of our bedroom furniture. I will be honest, I did not do much. I stained the bed and was the assistant who held the wood when a clamp would not suffice. Tom was the mastermind behind these. But we still spent most of the weekend in our carport with saw dust flying everywhere.
We only have pictures of the bedside tables right now. We need to do some adjustments to the bed before I will post about it.
Tom did a fantastic job designing these tables. He did them from scratch, drawers and all. Super impressed! It is nice having a partner who can do some pretty wicked woodwork and spend all weekend manufacturing these things for you!
And we even managed to save the wood that went through the downpour we got caught in on the way home.
They look great in our bedroom!
And here is the final product! Once we have the bed set up fully, I will post what they look like in the room.